This easy cake is delicious as a simple dessert with raspberries, or as a sweet treat with a cup of good coffee. The trick with this simple recipe is to use only good quality unsweetened cocoa powder — not sweetened drinking chocolate — and to make sure the butter is soft before you make the cake. It couldn’t be easier to make!
30 minute prep
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Grated zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with butter or line with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Beat in the butter, eggs, and orange zest with a hand mixer until well blended into a batter. If the batter seems a little stiff, add milk, one tablespoon at a time, until the batter has reached dropping consistency. Pile the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake is well risen and golden, and a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake sit for a moment in the tin, then turn it out to cool on a wire rack. Serve as desired.
Nutrition Facts (per servings)
Calories: 252; Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 11g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Carbohydrates: 18g; Sugar: 10g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 74mg
Registered Dietitian Approved
Your recipes, articles, videos, and more content are reviewed by our Registered Dietitian Kate Ueland, MS, RD, CSO, a board-certified specialist in oncology nutrition, to ensure that each is backed with scientific evidence and follows the guidelines set by the Oncology Nutrition for Clinical Practice, 2nd Ed., published by the Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group, a professional interest group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and the American Institute for Cancer Research and the American Cancer Society
This recipe was originally published on Cook for Your Life. It is used by permission.