This summery sandwich is a perfect lunch or even a protein-packed breakfast. A word of warning: capers are quite salty even after rinsing, so make sure to taste the salad before adding any extra salt.
During chemo, when immune system is down, it’s better to make egg salad as needed. It’s not something to risk buying at the deli counter.
20 minute prep
- 3 Hard Boiled Eggs, chilled
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- Sea salt, to taste
- 5 to 6 basil leaves, washed and shredded
- Halve, then chop the eggs and put them into a ceramic bowl. Mix in the celery and shallots.
- Roughly chop the capers and add to the egg mixture along with the yogurt. Mix well and taste for salt. Just before serving mix in the shredded basil.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Calories: 127; Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Carbohydrates: 6g; Sugar: 3g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 10g; Sodium: 281mg
Registered Dietitian Approved
Your recipes, articles, videos, and more content are reviewed by our Registered Dietitian Kate Ueland, MS, RD, CSO, a board-certified specialist in oncology nutrition, to ensure that each is backed with scientific evidence and follows the guidelines set by the Oncology Nutrition for Clinical Practice, 2nd Ed., published by the Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group, a professional interest group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and the American Institute for Cancer Researchand the American Cancer Society.
This recipe was originally published on Cook for Your Life. It is used by permission.