The American Cancer Society Hope Lodge Network provides free, home-like accommodations for cancer patients who have to travel for treatment. There are several ways volunteers can help with daily Hope Lodge operations such as preparing meals, providing entertainment, planning special events and activities, and improving the facility and grounds. Additionally, we need volunteers at select locations to drive patients to and from treatment.
There are more than 30 Hope Lodges in the US, located in select cities in certain states.
- Short-term volunteer opportunities available.
- Long-term volunteer opportunities available.
- Opportunities are available during weekdays, weekends, and evenings.
- Volunteer orientation training, confidentiality training, and onsite training may be required.
- Volunteer drivers must take required training.
Volunteers help make Hope Lodge communities a true home away from home. Volunteers may choose from a variety of opportunities and activities that fit your skills and interests. You can volunteer for a single day or be a longer term volunteer, and you can volunteer by yourself or with a group. You can choose to work with cancer patients and caregivers, or work behind the scenes in other areas. Join us and help brighten the day of cancer patients and their caregivers!
Volunteer Positions and Responsibilities
Volunteers help with daily Hope Lodge operations such as making meals, providing entertainment, planning activities, and improving the facility and grounds. Additionally, we need volunteers to drive patients to and from treatment.
- Volunteers are required to be dependable and comfortable interacting with others.
- For select lodges that have volunteer driver opportunities, volunteers must meet current age criteria, have a valid driver’s license issued by the state where they will perform their driving duties or in the state where they reside, provide proof of automobile insurance, pass a background and motor vehicle records check, and complete required volunteer training.
- Some volunteer roles may have additional requirements including a background check.