The ratio of chocolate chips and walnuts to dough is high, so these Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are full of antioxidants from the dark chocolate and omega-3’s from the walnuts. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by their light and crunchy texture.
20 min. prep
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour (See Chef Notes)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate, try to use 70% or higher
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Flaky salt, such as fleur de sel (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the sugar and butter until light and creamy. Stir in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix into the wet ingredients until just well blended. Stir in the chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- Use a tablespoon to drop 20 heaping spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly and sprinkle with flaky salt if using. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool slightly then transfer to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts (per cookie)
Calories: 188; Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 3g; Carbohydrates: 17g; Sugar: 10g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 87 mg
If you can’t find whole wheat pastry flour, substituting with a mix of 1/2 all-purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour works well.