These mini quiches are quite wonderful. They have no crust; you cook them like muffins and when they’re ready, they make the perfect portable breakfast or lunch, plus they are great to nibble on when you are fatigued from treatment. They give you a whole bunch of taste, not to mention nutrition, for not a whole lot of effort. If you are vegetarian, just leave out the turkey bacon or use crumbled tempeh bacon pieces instead for that savory hit.
- 4 slices turkey bacon, small dice and cook until crisp (see Chef Tips below)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small shallots, small dice
- ½ cup kale, shredded
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small sauté pan heat oil over a medium high flame. Add shallot and sauté until soft, about 1 minutes. Remove from pan and add kale. Sauté until soft about 4 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Place a 24 mini muffin tin in the preheated oven on a middle shelf. Let the pan preheat in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, cheese, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Remove hot muffin in from the oven. Spray the pan well with cooking spray. Using a small ladle, fill each of the moulds in the muffin tin about half full with the egg mixture. Place a few pieces of turkey bacon, shallot and kale in each one. Top to cover with more egg.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until the egg is set and the top is golden brown.
Turkey bacon while lower in fat than regular pork still uses salt and nitrites in the curing process, so please use sparingly, as in a dish like this where a little goes a long way.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
Calories: 192; Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 6g; Carbohydrates: 10g; Sugar: 3g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 11g; Sodium: 253 mg