Quesadillas are quick and easy to make, and these Smashed Black Bean Quesadillas are no different. They make a perfect lunch or dinner served along with a salad. They can be made with any ingredients you have on hand, as long as you have some cheese to hold it all together.
20 min prep
- ⅓ cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil, divided
- ½ of a small onion, diced
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed or Basic Black Beans
- 2 8-inch whole wheat tortillas or corn tortillas
- ½ avocado, peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped, divided
- ½ small jalapeno, deseeded and finely chopped, divided
- ½ cup grated sharp white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Lime zest, for garnish
- Greek yogurt, for garnish
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- In a hot skillet over high heat cook the corn until defrosted and turning brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium-high and add 1 tablespoon of oil and diced onion. Cook until the onions are translucent and caramelized. Add in the black beans. With the back of a wooden spoon smash the black beans into the bottom of the pan. Press until you have a chunky mash. If the beans look to dry stir in a tablespoon of water at a time. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Wipe the same pan clean and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Place 1 tortilla into the bottom of the pan, move around to make sure that the tortilla is completely lightly oiled. On one half only, press in half the smashed black beans, and sprinkle half the avocado, jalapeno, cheese, and corn—reserving the remaining half for the second quesadilla. Fold over the undressed side so you have a half moon. Cook on each side until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat, and transfer to a board, cut into 4 triangular slices.
- Repeat for the second quesadilla. Serve with lime zest and a dollop of yogurt.
Nutrition Info (per serving)
Calories: 628; Fat: 37g; Saturated Fat: 10g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 12g; Monounsaturated Fat: 12g; Carbohydrates: 57g; Sugar: 4g; Fiber: 14g; Protein: 21g; Sodium: 749mg